No Settings tab

Topics: Options
Sep 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Hi,

I'm using the trial version of VS Premium 2013 update 3. In the Options dialog there is no tab for Remarker shown and so of course I can't add custom words. Other than that the font colour options are displayed and the comments are altered.

Thanks,

M
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2014 at 1:43 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Mal63 wrote:
I'm using the trial version of VS Premium 2013 update 3. In the Options dialog there is no tab for Remarker shown and so of course I can't add custom words. Other than that the font colour options are displayed and the comments are altered.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't see it. You should see something like this with the Options window:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127759589@N03/15034119310

You would see "Remarker" on the left, and then when opened it would have "Comment Settings" and "Task Settings" under it.

You get to the options dialog from the Tools menu.

If this isn't what you see, can you provide a screen shot of your Options window?

Thanks.
Sep 13, 2014 at 4:37 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2014 at 4:37 AM
The problem is on Win 8.1. I've just tested it on Win 7 and the tab shows up. They both have the same extensions installed. There is another problem though and that is VS crashes when I select the Remarker options.

Here's the screenshot.

Options

M
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Thanks for the screen shot.

Did you click on the triangle on the left of "Remarker" to open it to see it's leaves?

BTW I am programming on Windows 8.1, and I'm not having this problem.
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Yes, clicking on the triangle opens the leaves. VS only crashes when selecting one of them. It looks like it might be a clash with another plugin. I'll try disabling some of them to see if that works.
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Mal63 wrote:
Yes, clicking on the triangle opens the leaves. VS only crashes when selecting one of them.
Whew. Not good. It's possible that something in my code is the reason for the crash, but without being able to reproduce the problem it's hard to say. As far as I know there is nothing in the extension all that unusual that might cause that, but I'll investigate it to see if I can see if there is anything there that could cause the problem.

If you find out more, please let me know.

P.S. I have uploaded an update this morning that makes some minor changes to the options pages. You might try to see if that has an effect.
Coordinator
Sep 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM
In case you are not watching the Issues I think I have resolved your problem in the latest Remarker 1.2 build.
Sep 18, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Hi,

This is strange. Whatever you did worked for the Windows 7 VS, but it has completely broken on Win 8.1. Before on Win 8 it did effect the comments, but now nothing. On starting VS I received a warning
"An exception has been encountered. This may be caused by an extension. You can get more information by examining the file C:\Users...\AppData\Roamingz\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12\ActivityLog.xml"

The entries for Remarker:

<entry>
<record>728</record>
<time>2014/09/18 23:12:59.838</time>
<type>Error</type>
<source>Editor or Editor Extension</source>
<description>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at YoderZone.Extensions.Remarker.Remarker.Utilities.ViewWatcher.TextViewCreated(IWpfTextView textView)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Editor.Implementation.WpfTextView.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClassc.&lt;BindContentTypeSpecificAssets&gt;b__9()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Utilities.GuardedOperations.CallExtensionPoint(Object errorSource, Action call)</description>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>740</record>
<time>2014/09/18 23:13:00.619</time>
<type>Error</type>
<description>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at YoderZone.Extensions.Remarker.Remarker.RemarkTagger.GetTags(NormalizedSnapshotSpanCollection spans)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.&lt;GetTagsForBuffer&gt;d__5.MoveNext()</description>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>741</record>
<type>Error</type>
<description>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.&#x000D;&#x000A;   at YoderZone.Extensions.Remarker.Remarker.RemarkTagger.GetTags(NormalizedSnapshotSpanCollection spans)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Tagging.Implementation.TagAggregator`1.&lt;GetTagsForBuffer&gt;d__5.MoveNext()</description>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>742</record>
<type>Error</type>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>743</record>
<type>Error</type>
</entry>
<entry>
<record>744</record>
<type>Error</type>
</entry>

Hope you can fix this,

M
Coordinator
Sep 21, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Thanks for reporting this.

The first error in the TextViewCreated method is probably due to one of my service classes not getting registered correctly. There's probably more record's in the activity log about that. If you could upload the whole log, that would allow me to see everything in context. Sometimes these error records don't mean a lot in isolation.

The other errors in the GetTags method are probably due to the same problem, since they depend on the same service that TextViewCreated needs.

Why the service wasn't registered though on your system is a mystery though. There might be a conflict with another extension, or something similar happening. Seeing the rest of the activity log might help to determine that.

Gil
Coordinator
Sep 22, 2014 at 2:36 AM
I just realized why you might be having trouble with Windows 8.1. This version of Windows has tighter restrictions on things like the registry, and I am betting that although you are probably an administrator on your computer, that my extension is not able to create the resource it needs for the Options pages.

If you will run Visual Studio at least one time as Administrator, that will probably fix that issue for you. (This would explain the registration problem I described before.)
Sep 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Hi Gil,

Here is the full Activity log:

http://1drv.ms/1BfDKC0

I tried running Vs as Administrator (Win 7 and 8.1), unfortunately that didn't work either. On both systems I disabled all other extensions, but still no joy.

M
Coordinator
Sep 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Thanks for posting the file, M, but it looks like the file you posted differs from the one you copied from earlier. It has an error from a package called InvokePeekPackage, but not from Remarker. Visual Studio must have overwritten the older file.

I looked through this file though, and did not notice anything within it that gives me any idea why Remarker would have problems on your computer. The next version of Remarker should be uploaded in a little while, if not today then hopefully later this week. It will have some logging capabilities within it. I hope you will install it and let me know how it works for you.

Thanks again.

Gil
Oct 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Hi Gil,

Sorry about the file. I must have sent the one from the win 8 machine.

My VS Pro trial just expired and so I installed Ultimate. Of course now your extension works perfectly. The other installation must have become corrupted somehow.

I appreciate your efforts for making this and taking the time to sort out any problems.

All the best,

Malcolm